Thursday, June 23, 2011

New Furler

We got some great deals at the boat show.
First we purchased a furler from Pro-Tech Yacht Services. After considering my options, I elected to purchase the Harken Mark IV unit 1.  Installation was dead simple and took about 4 hours.  Only issues were that the toggle that is required between chainplate and forestay utilizes 1/2" clevis pins. My old rig uses a 9/16" pin.  So I drill the holes in the toggle and had to make a 9/16" pin. I also had to trim the original shackle slightly so the furler would fit over.



I supported the mast with a couple of halyards and removed the tension from the backstay, pulled the clevis and shortend the turnbuckle by 1.75" to accomodate the toggle.
I fed each section of foil over the forestay and dropped the bottom end through my forehatch which allowed me to insert the joints, glue and screws at a comfortable height above the deck.

No comments:

Post a Comment