Monday, January 16, 2012

Quarter Berth Destruction

I took the plunge and have torn apart the quarter berth and the ice box in preparation for relocating the head and installing a D.C. fridge.  Total time was about 10 hours over 2 days.
Original Quarter Berth 
If you look at my previous post you will see a section showing what I have planned for the cockpit seating.
QB Stripped Out
Chart Table / Ice Box
  The chart table is 42" wide which just about takes a full size chart.  Since the laptop with charting program is my primary source, I feel I can take 12" out of the width to give more space to the head.  At 30" wide, the new chart table will allow a paper chart to be folded in half as back up to the laptop.

Ice box destruction
 I originally thought I could cut the aft end of the ice box off and make it shorter to allow enough room for the head.  It turns out that idea would have been a huge amount of work.  I'm glad I decided on the DC fridge.

Fuel Line & wiring
I've been chasing diesel smells since I purchased Blackheart and have addressed a few issues with the fuel tank venting and sealing the filler plate to the tank.  I would never have guessed that the original fuel line was routed through the insulation of the ice box.  The hose had deteriorated and leaked into the insulation where it's been sitting for who knows how many years.  I hope cleaning this up will reduce the diesel smell!!!

Ice Box Removed
 The new fridge will butt up to this partition with a 30" chart table above.  The head will then fit between the fridge and the back of the cabin.

Novakool RFS 7501 Freezer / Fridge
This is the Novakool (http://www.novakool.com/index.htm) DC refrigerator I will be installing.  It is a side-by-side unit and is 7.5 cubic feet.  This should be adequate for a week on the water.

No comments:

Post a Comment